Date:      Fri, 27 Mar 2009 15:57:35 +1100
From:      Mattia Rossi <mrossi@swin.edu.au>
To:        FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Brandon Gooch <jamesbrandongooch@gmail.com>, Michiel Boland <michiel@boland.org>, Robert Noland <rnoland@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: still problems with intel video

Brandon Gooch wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 10:58 PM, Robert Noland <rnoland@freebsd.org> wrote:

>>> Yep, correct - here it is again - just had to log out of KDE, and after
>>> logging in again, everything was slow as hell.
>>> I didn't fiddle with the msi settings, just rebooted the machine, and
>>> everything is fine again.
>>> So there must be something that works the first time X is started, but
>>> upon restart stuffs up. Like some lock or reference which is not freed.
>>>
>> There is a problem with restarting X on at least some Intel chips...
>> This is a different issue, I was trying to look into that a little bit
>> yesterday, but it kinda works on this 915 that I have, so I haven't
>> isolated what is getting messed up.  Again, vt switch, suspend/resume
>> are in the same ballpark, restart is not.
>>
>> robert.
>>

>>> Mat

>> --
>> Robert Noland <rnoland@FreeBSD.org>
>> FreeBSD
>>

> I have been switching to the vty at which I started X in order to
> terminate X. If I try to terminate X while I'm in it, it just "hangs"
> -- I have to switch to the vty, ctrl-c it, wait, then blindly key in a
> reboot to get my system back up. IIRC, this started happening after I
> upgraded to Xorg 7.4.
>
> I thought that Mattia might be doing the same thing as a work-around
> for the freezing intel-driven display thing, thus the X-to-vty switch
> "fix" of disabling msi...
>
> -Brandon
Hmm, just tested whether it's vty switching or restarting X that is
problematic, and it seems it's both :(. It is not as unusable as it was
when I couldn't type anymore, but everything gets definitely very slow
after a restart of X or after switching to a vty and back. Didn't try
suspend/resume though.

The controller says it's a: Intel Q35 SVGA controller.
Maybe it's of interest that the machine is a HP Compaq dc7800
Convertible Minitower...

Thanks for looking into the problem - tell me if/how i can help with
debugging (there are a couple of FreeBSD users with this same
canfiguration here which will be very happy about a well working FreeBSD
8 release :-))

Mat