Date:      Tue, 4 Nov 2008 16:42:30 +1100
From:      Norberto Meijome <numardbsd@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Replication system

On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 22:35:59 +0100
Jordi Espasa Clofent <jespasac@minibofh.org> wrote:

> Hi all,

Hola Jordi,

> I have to build a clustered website with FreeBSD 7.x as SO and Apache
> 2.x as httpd. As load-balancing solution I'll use HAProxy (or maybe a
> OpenBSD relayd, I'm not sure).

you may want to look into carp as well if you don't want to have a separate
layer of load balancers.

> Because of several technical (and especially non-technical) reasons, I
> haven't the possibility to mount a shared storage layer (NFS, SAN...) so
> I have to share the local data among the different httpd servers.
>
> At first approach I've thought in rsync+cron, but
>
> __anyone knows another replication-data solution in the described scenario?

rsync / rsyncd is simple and works. But it really depends on how often you'll
be publishing to your site, how big are the change sets

( consider publishing to a separate directory via rsync and then doing an
atomic rename/move if the change set is too big.)

we used to publish from AU to NL to dir1 in server1 , then ssh to server1 and
rsync to server2-n in parallel - all from a script of course. That way, the
slow link ( AU <-> NL) never got in the way of the publish.

{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

He could be a poster child for retroactive birth control.

Warned.