Date:      Wed, 9 Aug 2000 15:39:24 -0400
From:      Damien Tougas <damien@carroll.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Ipnat fails under load?

Hello,

After some period of time (anywhere from days to weeks), ipnat stops
working properly. We ran a tcpdump on the interface while the problem
was occurring, just to see what was going on. What we found was that
any new connections attempted from 10.0.0.0/8 were going through with
the ack bit set only, it is like the initial packet was somehow blocked.
As a result, the server we were trying to contact replied with a tcp
reset since it thought that we were trying to connect to a session that
did not exist. Our first thought was that we might have ran out of
ports, but we have since found that there are typically no more
than about 3000 sessions active when this occurrs.

The only way to get it to work again is to clear the ipnat tables
and rules and re-initialize them using the following sequence:

/usr/sbin/ipnat -CF
/usr/sbin/ipnat -f /etc/rc.nat

After that, everything works just fine.
The config file we use (rc.nat) is very simple:

map de0 10.0.0.0/8 -> 0/32 portmap tcp/udp 1025:65000

There are currently no other firewall rules being used.
All IP addresses on the machine are static. The reason we use the 0/32
designation is to maintain configuration file consistancy across all
servers.

We are running ipnat on FreeBSD version 3.4-Stable, I am not
sure exactly what version of ipfilter it is, it is the one that comes
as part of the base OS.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

--