Date:      Mon, 16 Jun 2003 12:11:25 +0700
From:      Roger Merritt <mcrogerm@stjohn.ac.th>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Can I delete a partition (or is it a slice?)

I have a chance to get my hands on a 4-GB hard drive that's being replaced
by a 40-GB drive. My other machine really needs more space (it also has a
4-GB drive), and I'd like to move the /usr/home slice (or is it partition?)
to the new(er) HDD and delete the /usr/home slice from the older drive. I
presume the space would then be available to the /usr partition (the two
are adjacent and /usr/home was created after /usr). Would deleting the
slice cause my partition table to be rewritten with disastrous results?

Or would it be better to set up three slices, for /, /var, and /usr, on the
new drive, transfer the data from the old drive with backup and restore,
backing up the contents of /usr/home to a tarball on the new drive, then
repartition the old drive with a single slice, /usr/home, and copy the
backup tarball?

Also, since these two drives would be on the same cable, would using tar to
transfer the data be faster than backup and restore?

--
Roger