Date:      Tue, 29 Jan 2002 08:09:10 +0100 (CET)
From:      Pascal Bourguignon <pjb@informatimago.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Activating the Xircom PS-CE2-10 Ethernet PCCARD.

Hello,

I've seen several questions about problems with Xircom PCMCIA Ethernet
cards.

I've just  installed 4.4-R  on my  DELL Latitude XPi  90ST, and  had a
similar problem:

The first time I tried  the installation, my Xircom PS-CE2-10 ethernet
card did not activate itself.

Then I restarted the installation procedure and it worked well.

Then I booted  FreeBSD, and could not make it  work any more: removing
and inserting  it, or powering  it off the  powering it on  would have
pccardd  correctly recognize  and handle  it and  invoke pccard_ether,
which could  configure the xe0  driver without apparent  problems, but
the leds  on the dongle stayed  dead (yes, some  Xircom ethernet cards
have adaptator cable going from the PCMCIA card to a "dongle" with two
leds  (active & transmiting),  either for  TP or  BNC), and  "Host not
reachable" was the only result I could get from ping.

ifconfig reported the interface up.

Well, it wasn't.

Running:  ifconfig xe0 down ; ifconfig xe0 up

would  resolve my  problem, at  least the  card would  connect  to the
network and start transmit packets.

Perhaps  it's  only  a   problem  with  pccard_ether  which  does  not
explicitely put the interface  up, or with other configuration scripts
which   don't  put   a   up  keyword   in  the   ifconfig_${interface}
configuration variables, whatever.

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__              (o_ Software patents are endangering
()  ASCII ribbon against html email //\ the computer industry all around