Date:      Thu, 21 Oct 2004 16:26:34 +0900
From:      Rob <spamrefuse@yahoo.com>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ssh: MS-Windows connection to 4-Stable is OK, but to 5.3 is not.

Hello,

A collegue of mine uses MS-Windows and connects to my FreeBSD
PCs with some Window Manager's software by SSH protocol.

To my 4-Stable PC (with SSH-3.5p1) this works just fine.
To my 5.3 PC (with SSH-3.8.1p1) the connection is refused.

We have tried again and again, double-checked the password and
so on. I think it has something to do with a different system
configuration of sshd. Can someone help me with this?

I have ran sshd in debug mode on the 5.3 FreeBSD PC, and I get:

# /usr/sbin/sshd -d
debug1: sshd version OpenSSH_3.8.1p1
debug1: read PEM private key done: type DSA
debug1: private host key: #0 type 2 DSA
debug1: Bind to port 22 on 0.0.0.0.
Server listening on 0.0.0.0 port 22.
debug1: Server will not fork when running in debugging mode.
debug1: res_init()
Connection from 147.46.50.42 port 3959
debug1: Client protocol version 2.0; client software version Xssh_1.0
debug1: no match: Xssh_1.0
debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_3.8.1p1
debug1: permanently_set_uid: 22/22
debug1: list_hostkey_types: ssh-dss
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT sent
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT received
debug1: kex: client->server 3des-cbc hmac-sha1 zlib
debug1: kex: server->client 3des-cbc hmac-sha1 zlib
debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_KEXDH_INIT
debug1: Enabling compression at level 6.
debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS sent
debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS
debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS received
debug1: KEX done
debug1: userauth-request for user mdr service ssh-connection method password
debug1: attempt 0 failures 0
debug1: PAM: initializing for "mdr"
Failed password for mdr from 147.46.50.42 port 3959 ssh2
debug1: PAM: setting PAM_RHOST to "surfion21"
Connection closed by 147.46.50.42
debug1: do_cleanup
debug1: PAM: cleanup
debug1: do_cleanup