Date:      Sun, 28 May 2000 16:28:24 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To:        Forrest Aldrich <forrie@forrie.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: adding swap via vnconfig

Forrest Aldrich wrote:

> I have an older system (FreeBSD-2.2.8) that is under production and cannot
> be brought down until a new machine is built.  In the mean time, I need to
> add a lot of swap space to it.
>
> I've done this:
>
> vnconfig -ce /dev/vn0c /usr/local/swapfile swap
>
> (vn was already in the kernel and the devices are there already).
>
> Now, it's not clear to me where I can see (other than ls -l) that the file
> is actually being utilized, or at what point it would be.

	swapinfo should tell you that. An underutilized gem for system
administrators is the 'apropos' command. You could have done 'apropos
swap' and it would give you a list of man pages related to "swap."
swapinfo is in there. You can also take a look at the output of top to
get a more terse outline of what's happening with swap in general.

Good luck,

Doug
--
        "Live free or die"
		- State motto of my ancestral homeland, New Hampshire