Date:      Tue, 11 Mar 1997 16:38:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Brian N. Handy" <handy@sag.space.lockheed.com>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@vader.cs.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports freeze in 9 1/2 hours

I wrote:
> * On my machine, CVSupped (2.2-GAMMA) as of oh 5 or so days ago, I can't get
> * 'expect' or 'teTeX' to compile.  I went so far as to submit a PR on
> * expect, it was partially fixed (checksum error and fix the patches to
> * reflect the version upgrade), but these things just don't work at all on
> * my machine.

Satoshi replied:

>Expect was fixed last night and it compiles here; teTeX worked a while
>ago but now I can't get it to compile anymore.  Feel free to submit a
>log on how it doesn't work (see my other mail for my teTeX build) so
>we can patch together more information.

OK, what I had to do with expect was recompile tk-4.1, it's been quite a
while and the system has certainly been moving underneath it.  Check
'expect' off the list, I think it really does work. :-)

teTeX doesn't.  The gist is:

checking whether the C compiler (gcc -O2 -s -pipe
-DHAVE_EXTERN_SYS_ERRLIST=1 ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
create executables.
gmake: *** [config] Error 1
*** Error code 2

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error Code 1

Stop.

I've uploaded a script of this (and tacked on a uname -a at the top) to
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/incoming/teTeX-0.4-compile.log.gz.
I'd try and do more but this is over my head and I don't have ANY idea
where to look!  (Willing to help out where possible though..)

Regards,

Brian