Date:      Tue, 12 Oct 1999 22:37:07 -0500
From:      Carol Deihl <carol@tinker.com>
To:        jahanur <jahanur@jjsoft.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nslookup problem please help

Hi Jahanur,

Basically, you pay internic to get the root servers to tell *which*
name servers to ask when looking for your domain. Then when someone
does an nslookup, (some details left out here for simplicity) the
root server says look at ns.iguru.net to find out where your domain
is; if ns.iguru.net can't be reached for some reason, look at
ns.iguru.com.

Note that anyone who runs a name server is free to put anything they
want in their own name server - and it is quite common that when a
domain moves to a new hosting facility, no one gets around to removing
the old dns records from the old name servers. But, that is not the
problem here.

The problem here is that only *one* of the *two* new name servers
has the correct information. The ns.iguru.net has *wrong* data in
it, and since it is listed first at the internic, that is the name
server that people are hitting. (ns.iguru.com, the second name
server, has the correct information.)

The solution is to carefully check your zone file *on ns.iguru.net*
to make sure it has the correct data, correct the serial number as
another poster has mentioned (e.g. use 1999101201), and HUP named.
Check your log file to see if it reports any errors in your zone
file.

Note that even after you've done this, you will still have to wait
for things to time out of caches. But, you can check the particular
name server to see what it's reporting with either dig:
	$ dig @ns.iguru.net turkishtop500.com any
or with nslookup:
	$ nslookup
	> server ns.iguru.net
	Default Server:  ns.iguru.net
	Address:  208.206.231.66
	> set type=any
	> turkishtop500.com

Carol

jahanur wrote:

> [...]

Carol Deihl - principal, Shrier and Deihl - mailto:carol@tinker.com
Remote Unix Network Admin, Security, Internet Software Development
  Tinker Internet Services - Superior FreeBSD-based Web Hosting
                     http://www.tinker.com/