Date:      07 Jun 1998 16:45:46 +0200
From:      dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling Coidan =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= )
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
Cc:        malte@webmore.com, kline@thought.org, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X11 problem?

Gary Kline <kline@tera.com> writes:
> 	Anyhow, back to the W32 problem, one of the XFree86 people
> 	tells me that the W32 server has known flaws.  ((I read some
> 	of them.  This one may not have been reported until now.))

If you're running XFree86 3.3.x, you should probably consider using
the SVAG server instead of the W32 server:

<URL:file:/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc/README.tseng>

The SVGA driver for ET4000 chipsets supports all color depths (8, 15, 16, 24
and 24 bpp) on most ET4000 chips starting with the ET4000W32i. The ET4000W32
only supports 8bpp. Depending on the RAMDAC and the support code in the SVGA
server, some cards may only support a few of these color depths, or even only
8bpp.

<URL:file:/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc/README.W32>

XF86_W32 gets phased out, now that the SVGA server with XAA acceleration is at
least as fast as the W32 server but supports more cards and for some even
higher color depths. For details about using the XF86_SVGA with W32 cards, look
below. Note that currently not all cards that are accelerated by XF86_W32 are
accelerated by XF86_SVGA at this moment (only ET6000 and ET4000W32p to be
exact).

--
Noone else has a .sig like this one.