Date:      Fri, 16 Jan 1998 20:21:07 +0100 (MEZ)
From:      Robert Eckardt <roberte@MEP.Ruhr-Uni-Bochum.de>
To:        dbalder@unm.edu (David B. Alder)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HHHHEEEELLLLPPPP!!!!

It was David B. Alder who wrote:
> I'm about to pull out my hair.  I've tried to install 5 different versions
> of Linux from three different companies on my machine.  I know you can't
> help me with that, but I've also tried to install 2 different versions of
> FreeBSD, 2.1.5 and 2.2.5.  I've tried all 7 versions multiple times each.
> Varying the parameters each time.  None of which installed completely.
> They all lock-up partially through the installation process.  The FreeBSD

What do you mean by `lock-up partially' ?
Does NumLock still react ?

> versions both lock-up during the ports part of the installation.  Generally

It sounds very much like a hardware problem.
(May be something temperature related in the protected mode part.)

I had a 486-board which would crash FreeBSD when still cold.
After 3/4 h of running it would work fine.
There were no problems under DOS, however.

What type of board do you have ?

Robert

--
Robert Eckardt                \\ FreeBSD -- solutions for a large universe.(tm)
RobertE@MEP.Ruhr-Uni-Bochum.de \\       What do you want to boot tomorrow ?(tm)