Date:      Fri, 24 Sep 1999 03:15:00 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        "B. Taylor" <bltaylor@corp.home.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AMD/Kernel probelms

On Thu, Sep 23, 1999 at 06:47:20PM -0700, B. Taylor wrote:
> I am having problems with my BSD box. I have an AMD K6/2 400 with 128
> megs of ram. When I try to make a new kernel I am getting this error:
>
>  -prototypes  -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wuninitialized -Wformat
> -Wunused  -fformat-extensions -ansi  -nostdinc -I- -I. -I../..
> -I../../../include  -DKERNEL -DVM_STACK -include opt_global.h -elf
> ../../i386/isa/fd.c
> cc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 11
> *** Error code 1

SIG 11 is usually the sign of flakey memory. There is a very verbose
FAQ on the subject (SIG11) at http://www.bitwizard.nl/sig11. It
even starts with:

QUESTION

My kernel compile crashes with

      gcc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 11

> My friend has 3 BSD machines in his house and he said that on the two
> with an AMD K6/2 processor he is having the same problem. is it true
> that you can not compile a custom kernel on an AMD and if it is not true
> can you tell me what I am doing wrong?

I've compiled many custom kernels on my AMD box, albeit an original
K6 not a K6-2. There are plenty of people using them so I think
this is a fallacy.

> -Brian

STATE-OF-THE-ART: Any computer you can't afford.
OBSOLETE: Any computer you own.