Date:      Mon, 15 May 2006 16:06:52 +0200
From:      gareth <bsd@lordcow.org>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fsck

On Mon 2006-05-15 (15:46), Oliver Brandmueller wrote:
> OK, I was not clear enough: During normal operations what's on the disk
> and the view of the system to the filesystem are not necessarily the
> same - this is especially true for open files. No matter how long it
> takes for fsck to run, a r/w opened file will almost ever be in an
> inconsistent state.
>
> Again: fsck is not for r/w mounted filesystems (except with -B for
> filesystems that support it - namely ONLY UFS2!). If you use fsck in
> traditional mode you will get unexpected results. And although fsck
> tries very hard to keep you from breaking things badly, you have a good
> chance to damage your filesystems if you use it improperly (no, I won't
> try if -y or -f will force a check on a mounted partition - I still need
> my filesystems).
>
> Again, very loud and clear: DON'T DO THIS.
>
> After telling you, fsck is not suuposed to be run on r/w mounted
> filesystems in that way, I guess we can agree there's no room for a
> discussion like that, OK? I mean, you don't use the hammer for screws,
> do you?

ok, i understand that it's not meant to be run on a mounted FS. i just used
to do that on my (linux) FS's non-evasively as a rough check that everything
was still ok. thanx, i see now that it can give unexpected results, i was
just initially interested in why it was showing this now, whereas before it
wasn't (in a roughly correlated way with the increase in power failures here).