Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 1995 00:43:57 +0100
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freebsd.org>
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes), phk@freefall.cdrom.com, mark@grondar.za, wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Crypt code summary(2).

> FreeBSD seems uninterested because they feel they can simply dictate
> the future of BSD because of their technological enhancements in the
> area of installation, VM, and commodity hardware coverage have
> resulted in them being more palletable to a larger user base.  They
> point to the number of messages in the FreeBSD news groups being
> larger than the twice number of messages in the NetBSD and BSD
> groups combined as evidence of their success.
> Other than that, everyone agrees it's a good idea, but no one wants
> to make it their part time job, even though it could be a paid job,
> given that non-profit corporations still have paid employees.
>
> As for me: ideas aren't a problem; time to implement them all *is* a
> problem.  I can think of many, many ways someone can make their

I think you've come closer to determining the REAL reason why none of
us have jumped on the bandwagon.  I don't dispute that a number of us
are proud of the size of our user base, but I don't think we're quite
so arrogant (at least *I'm* not) as to assume that we can "dictate"
anything to the BSD community at large.  It all simply comes down to
time.  I'd like to get 2.1R out the door, write a book, do some
magazine articles, go give one of the keynote speeches in Australia
this August and possibly one in Japan later this summer, have a life
for about 5 minutes on July 29th, etc. etc.  Where in all of that am I
supposed to fit in the riding of the mechanical bull that getting
seriously involved in a BSD Consortium would entail?

The answer is: I can't.  Getting behind this effort would be a big job
and a high-voltage wire to be grabbing on to, and I just don't have
the time, nor does anyone else I know.  It's not arrogance, it's
exhaustion!

So if you want to front such an organization, please feel free!  But
don't talk to me about how YOU are maxed out and then in the same
breath imply that our own lack of willingness comes from arrogance of
our position and not simply a similar level of over-committment.

You're full of ideas, Terry, but you're also far too willing to sign
other people up for things you're not willing to commit to yourself.
Kindly stop!  You're not helping things and the impression you end up
giving is that of someone who likes the sound of his own voice (or
typing? :-) but always has a convenient excuse when the REAL work or
committment is called for.  Enough with the feeble excuses!  We've
heard them all by now!  Put up or shut up, PUH-LEEZE!  :-)

Thank you!

					Jordan