Date:      Sun, 15 Sep 2002 02:36:14 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Sysinstall corrupts disklabel

Running 4.6-STABLE from 8/2002.

Added a disk (1 AMI MegaRAID existing logical disk, added a new HD on
Adaptec ahc0 as da0), went into Sysinstall to try to fdisk/disklabel
it.

Somewhere in the process of wrestling with the usual confusing
prompts (no Quit option, cancel accepts, doesn't go where the cursor
is pointed, gets "stuck" on a disk device and won't allow the other
to be selected, yada yada) Sysinstall blew away my disklabel.

This is a common problem it seems, I've run into it before.  Had to
manually piece it together last time on a different box.  Apparently
there's an old bug (someone posted in July about this) where if you
try to change a partition type in Sysinstall, it hoses the disklabel.
Well I didn't *actually* try to change the partition type, but I may
have pressed the command once in Sysinstall and then tried to cancel
out. (but who knows, with Sysinstall it's often like Orwell's 1984:
War is Peace, Yes is No, cancel is accept.. :-)

Anyway, I don't have a backup copy of the disklabel, currently the in-
memory version just shows a "c" partition, if I try to read it from
disk I get "disklabel: bad pack magic number (label is damaged...)"

Is there a shortcut to getting this back or do I have to go through
the partitions one-by-one and try to figure out all the offsets?
(This machine has 6 partitions on it)

Funny thing is the system seems to boot OK, df and mount output look
normal, etc.  But I can't do anything with the disks like disklabel
the new one, etc.

TIA,

Phil

--