Date:      Sat, 1 Jan 2000 21:14:36 -0600
From:      Karl Denninger <karl@Denninger.Net>
To:        Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/15822: Update port misc/HomeDaemon to V0.99

On Sat, Jan 01, 2000 at 04:37:53PM -0600, Steve Price wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Jan 2000, Karl Denninger wrote:
>
> # > Mind if I make a few changes to the port and send them your way?
> # > I don't think it is a bad as is being let on.
> # >
> # > -steve
> #
> # Be my guest.
>
> Here you go.  Might not be perfect and the pkg/MESSAGE file needs
> real verbage but this is about the least intrusive I can make the
> port on your software.  The patch was so that the Makefile honored
> CFLAGS.  BTW, what did the '-s' flag to cc(1) do?  Never seen it
> used before and didn't see it in the manpage.
>
> -steve

I can see some significant issues here after a bit of testing.

1.	Environment assigned in the PORT Makefile is NOT transported
	(or exported into the actual process environment) for things called
	FROM that Makefile.  That is, I cannot set something in the PORT
	makefile and have the other "base" Makefile leave it alone if its
	set, but define it to a default if not.

	This is a BIG problem, as it makes it next to impossible for you
	to have a port that works in "either" format without duplicating
	the installation rules and scripts directly in the port makefile.
	Now you have TWO places and things to maintain instead of one (and
	this sucks).  Further, and worse, you can get out of sync (which
	will cause untoward trouble).

2.	I can easily import from the base-level Makefile into the compiler
	environment and have.  Now how do I get the PORT makefile to allow
	overrides of this?  The second I cannot figure a way to do.

In general this looks to be a problem, and given the choice between
packaging as a port and following "the rules" (but leaving me with
dependencies that have to be MANUALLY resolved between a port and its
underlying code) I'll pass on the port.

Let me know if I'm missing something - it certainly doesn't look like it.

Here's what I *WANT* to do:

# New ports collection makefile for:   HomeDaemon
# Version required:    0.99
# Date created:        1 January 2000
# Whom:                Karl Denninger
#
# $FreeBSD$
#

DISTNAME=       HomeDaemon-0.99
CATEGORIES=     misc
MASTER_SITES=   http://genesis.denninger.net/

MAINTAINER=     HomeDaemon@denninger.net

NO_CDROM="No commercial sale w/o permission - see README"
NO_PACKAGE="Source distribution only - see README"

BINMODE=        4700
BINOWN=         xten
SHAREMODE=      750
SHAREOWN=       ${BINOWN}
SHAREDIR=       ${PREFIX}/share/HomeDaemon

.include <bsd.port.mk>

And then have the PRODUCT's Makefile look to the "BINMODE", "SHAREDIR", etc
variables.

If there's no way to get inheritance to work then I'm screwed and either
the port has to depend on things in the distribution package *OR* I have
to build install rules into the port *AND SYNC THEM WITH THE MAIN BY HAND*,
since a difference in definition of directories, for example, WILL break
the software.

Please tell me what I'm missing (or if I'm really seeing this as it is).

Karl Denninger (karl@denninger.net)  Web: http://childrens-justice.org
Isn't it time we started putting KIDS first?  See the above URL for
a plan to do exactly that!