Date:      Sun, 7 Aug 2005 13:07:28 -0400
From:      Jason Morgan <jwm-freebsd@sentinelchicken.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: kernel panic on 5.4-RELEASE-p6

On Sun, Aug 07, 2005 at 06:51:09PM +0200, Petr Holub wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've encoutnered the follwing kernel panic on 5.4-RELEASE-p6. However,
> as the machine is production and not development one, I don't have
> debugger analysis. The panic might *theoretically* be due to problems
> accessing faulty CD-R media in the ATAPI DVD/CD-RW drive (that was the
> only unusual thing which happened before the panic). Kernel config
> and dmesg are attached below, the machine is IBM T41p laptop.

> fault virtual address   = 0x300f0
> fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
> instruction pointer     = 0x8:0x300f0
> stack pointer           = 0x10:0xe67cdb1c
> frame pointer           = 0x10:0xe67cdb34
> code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
>                         = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
> processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
> current process         = 1337 (vim)
> trap number             = 12
> panic: page fault
> Uptime: 14m43s.

I've had a similar issue (or at least it looks similar to the untrained
eye) on an old laptop of mine that I was trying to install with 5.4,
5.3, then 4.11. I posted the error to the mailing list, but was never
able to solve the problem. Be interested to know if someone has a
solution.

-Jason Morgan