Date:      Sat, 29 Nov 2008 14:34:22 +0530
From:      =?utf-8?B?4KSG4KS24KWA4KS3IOCktuClgeCkleCljeCksg==?= Ashish Shukla <wahjava.ml@gmail.com>
To:        Tim Judd <tajudd@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: shell scripting problems

--0F1p//8PRICkK4MW

In <ade45ae90811282058k8215023r80e497fa5d857c40@mail.gmail.com>, Tim Judd w=
rote:
>Hi all,
>
>I've been trying for a few weeks to try to get this to work, and the /bin/=
sh
>keeps snagging the command line before passing it to pkg_info
>
>I'll use a different shell if I need to, but since I got everything except
>this one thing working, i'd rather keep it in sh
>
>In the shell script, i have a
>  pkg_info -qLx "^$PKG-[0-9,._]+$"
>also tried (-X)tended regex instead of the standard rege(-x).
>
>sh keeps erroring out saying various $" isn't a valid variable name, or
>pkg_info doesn't find the anything there.  And it does exist.  This all ca=
me
>around with me trying to automatically update a bunch of ports.  xorg-fonts
>is outdated, but xorg-fonts-100dpi or xorg-fonts-75dpi isn't.  So the regex
>returns multiple values (as above).  I just want the first, hence the
>anchors.

I tried following on my 8.0-CURRENT box:

----8<----8<----
abbe [~] monte-cristo% exec sh
$ echo "^$PKG-[0-9,._]+$"
^-[0-9,._]+$
$ uname -a
FreeBSD monte-cristo.france 8.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 8.0-CURRENT #21: Mon Nov 10=
 21:19:13 IST 2008     root@monte-cristo.france:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ULE  a=
md64

And as you can see in above paste, 'sh' doesn't evaluate $" as variable as=
=20
it has evaluated $PKG as variable. this works with 'sh' shipped with=20
8.0-CURRENT. Maybe some issue with your 'sh'.

HTH
--=20
Ashish Shukla

--0F1p//8PRICkK4MW