Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 95 10:52:56 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        marcus@outer.ceh.servtech.com (Marcus Schwartz)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: my @#%$#@# 3com 3c589 pcmcia ethernet card

> I have a 3com etherlink III pcmcia card (3c589) that I am trying to use in
> my Dell Latitude XP.  This card *should* be covered by driver zp.
>
> So, anyway... everytime I try and boot with the damn thing, I get
> sumthin to the effect of "EEPROM doesnt match."  Then, when I flip back
> to DOS to try and run the 3com config software, I end up having to use
> CHECKCIS.EXE to reload the flash code onto the card, because something has
> corrupted it.
>
> I have spent quite a bit of time on this, with no luck.  perhaps someone
> has had the same problem and knows a workaround? or I am just doing sumthing
> blatantly wrong?

Which of the 6 mainstream (requiring 3 different enpic enablers if
coded correctly, or 6 if not) or 3 non-mainstream (unlikely to ever
be supported unless someone who owns one does the code) PCMCIA bridge
chipsets is being used by Dell to implement PCMCIA on your Lattitude?

Is it an Intel, Intel, or IBM?  If so, the current code should work.

If it is Cyrix or AMD, you'll need a different enabler, and if it is one
of the two European chips or the one from Hitachi (I think), good luck.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.