Date:      Tue, 16 Nov 1999 00:46:27 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PATCH for testing

Pierre Beyssac wrote in list.freebsd-current:
 > On Mon, Nov 15, 1999 at 02:27:10PM -0800, Matthew Dillon wrote:
 > >     And, also, we need to get rid of the 'e' option to ps entirely.  It's a
 > >     major security hole.
 >
 > Not more so than option 'u', or even 'a', if you ask me.
 >
 > It's common knowledge under Unix that you shouldn't put anything
 > sensitive in the command line or the environment. When there's any
 > risk, the best option is to remove 'ps' alltogether, IMHO.

Sorry for jumping in here...

When looking for "old" processes on shell boxes, I often find
myself using ps -e and grepping for the DISPLAY variable, in
order to find out if it's an abandoned local process, or if it
was redirected to some remote host.  That's what I'd need ps -e
for.  or is there another, possibly easier way to accomplish
that?

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)