Date:      Sat, 4 Nov 2000 23:27:20 -0600
From:      Bruce Burden <brucegb@realtime.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem with firewall, any ideas?

   Hello All,

	I am having a strange problem with my firewall and the firewall
   machine, as far as I can tell. First:

	I can ping just about any address I care to.
	DNS is working, because hostnames are converted to IP's
	Any machine behind the firewall can telnet/rlogin/etc just
	   fine.
	My firewall directives are very close to those found at:

		http://www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd/sheet.cgi?ipfw

   Now, the problem is that I can telnet/rlogin to some sites, others
   I can not. In particular, I can't telnet/rlogin into my ISP (access.
   realtime.net) from my firewall machine, nor can it access the SETI
   web host to send/acquire work units. On the other hand, it has no
   problem with another ISP (io.com) and www.freebsd.org.

	Anybody want to hazard why I can't rlogin/telnet to any sites?
   About the only clue I have is that I get ACK packets from machines/
   sites I can connect to, none from machines/sites that time out.

							Thank you,
							Bruce