Date:      Mon, 13 Oct 1997 00:32:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   good name for a (in fact 2) new module(s)

I have two new major kernel modules to add soon.

Part of all this is to think of good names for them before they
hit the light of day.. once they've been released, I can't easily
change the names and the CVS files will have been created etc.

They are:

A networking framework to allow the linking and operation of an arbitrary
graph (think of nodes and edges) of processing modules within the kernel.
e.g. a ppp framing modules, a frame-relay mux, a frame relay control
module, debug modules. etc. At the moment this is called "netgraph" in the
same line as netatalk, netinet, netipx, etc. This is scheduled to be made
public by whistle on Jan. 1. It kind-of fills the same ecological niche as
the sysV STREAMS, but is considerably different. I've discussed this with
many including Mike Karels. Many of you will have seen early versions of
this. Whistle's mpd (multilink PPP daemon) knows how to use this framework
to do fun things with ISDN and frame relay links etc.

The second module is a disk layering framework that works in conjunction
with DEVFS. All direct-access devices (e.g. disks) are accessed via the
framework, with arbitrary stacking allowed.  Handlers are used to perform
the actions implemented by each layer. Layers may provide such services as
disk mirroring, or maybe just something as simple as MBR partitionning.
All disk devices have the same major number through this interface and
minor number assignation is dynamic through DEVFS. Each layer exports an
identical interface to those above it or to the outside world. It would be
quite possible (and easy) to further divide a disklabel partition into
further partitions by disklabelling that partition.

The present name for this module is the SLICE module, but I'm not sure
that this is generic enough. I've been thinking of DASD (IBM's name for
disk (Direct Access Storage Device) or DAS (similar). I'd have to do some
'bulk find and replace' operations but I'd rather do it now than later.

Any thoughts about these names would be gratefully appreciated..
failing violent objections, we might look forward to seeing a
/sys/dev/slice or /sys/dev/das (no, not DAAS for those .au members).
and soon, /sys/netgraph. Netgraph has been in production here or 6 months
and has proven EXTREMELY useful. I hope the SLICE code is as useful.
It's also really needed to do DEVFS correctly, which is why you haven't
seen any DEVFS work from me recently.. this is part of it..

julian