Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 1996 15:23:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org, fdocs@jraynard.demon.co.uk
Subject:   Re: Revised ports entry for handbook

> > Interesting, there's no evidence in my packages database for any port
> > I've ever done, except for those done using lndir.
>
> He means the database in /var/db/pkg - the pkg_add command updates
> this area.

That's what I meant too.  I ported apsfilter a few weeks ago, and there's
no evidence of it in /var/db/pkg (or with pkg_info -a) nor has there ever
been any evidence of kermit there.  But perhaps I just typed "make"
instead of "make install." Not really important.

> > It seems to me the lndir approach to ports is so obviously superior to
> > a symbolic link to the distfiles on the cdrom or not using a symbolic
> > link or lndir that it's worth explaining, and worth explaining how to
>
> Well, it also has its drawbacks - the symlink tree eats a LOT of inodes. :(

That bad?  Then maybe people should be told they can check the availability
of inodes with df -i, and that they can zap any part of the link tree
they don't need.

> > Whether one gets the skeleton files by ftp or from the cdrom, where is
> > the make fetch-list command issued?  I can't make it work on freefall.
>
> Strange - works for me!

Works for me on my own machine, too.  It's just that it doesn't work
on ftp.freebsd.org, not that it should.

					Annelise