Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2000 19:10:09 -0800
From:      goodleaf <goodleaf@home.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Freebsd Future--Port?

Has anyone heard any rumors/have any thoughts about possible ports of Freebsd?
I know it was recently moved to the Alpha platform, but what about the PowerPC
Open Platform? (IBM just released the specs for a PPC board, with standard
components. It is said that some hardware manufacturers are going to give it a
go.) A system built on this platform could use multiple G4 processors--and my
understanding of the architecture is that it offers SMP support superior to what
Intel or AMD offer. The LinuxPPC crowd has mentioned their interest, and I'd
just like to know if the idea of a port of FreeBSD has been floated. I'd rather
run it than Linux, but I love that hardware...

Back on the ranch...

I should send out thanks to those who make this list so interesting and useful.
I'm relatively new to Unix/Linux and just last weekend I was able to get NAT and
ipfw running on my (new) FreeBSD box. It handles my cable modem - LAN setup.
It's like a little miracle, and it's due in large part to what I've seen on this
list.
Thanks,
John