Date:      Thu, 29 Apr 2004 14:12:02 +0900
From:      SUZUKI Shinsuke <suz@kame.net>
To:        aswan@cs.berkeley.edu
Cc:        suz@crl.hitachi.co.jp
Subject:   Re: IGMPv3 (was Re: pim6sd)

> as of last fall, kame was waiting for the igmpv3 sockets api to
> be published as an rfc (it was an internet-draft at the time) to
> merge igmpv3 into the core bsd distributions.
> (see http://www.kame.net/roadmap-2003.html).
>
> in january, the api draft was published as rfc 3678.  what is
> the process by which code is merged from kame to freebsd?  is
> it just a matter of somebody extracting the appropriate patches
> and submitting them?

I know MSF API has been published as an RFC, but I have to wait until
the IPR issue raised by Apple has been closed, because Apple requires
some fee for SSM-related implementations, which is against
BSD-license.
	http://www.ietf.org/ietf/IPR/APPLE-SSM.txt

I'm not sure if this IPR is really valid or this IPR is applicable to
IGMPv3/MLDv2, but I think it's dangerous to MFC IGMPv3/MLDv2 without
any clarification.

As far as I know some Apple engineers have been aware of the issue,
but I don't know if Apple's legal staffs know it.
I really hope that this issue has been peacefully solved...