Date:      Fri, 9 Apr 1999 16:10:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/10783: ELF emacs 19.34 hangs under X windows

The following reply was made to PR ports/10783; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To: Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@auss2.alcatel.com.au>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG, DDeatherage@bridge.com,
	asami@FreeBSD.ORG, joelh@gnu.org, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 18:09:14 -0500 (CDT)

 On Sat, 10 Apr 1999, Peter Jeremy wrote:

 # Going thru the proper FreeBSD channels...  (Joel might like to see if he
 # can get it integrated into emacs).
 #
 # The fix for 19.34 is a patch file:
 #
 # diff -bur work.old/emacs-19.34/src/s/freebsd.h work/emacs-19.34/src/s/freebsd.h
 # --- work.old/emacs-19.34/src/s/freebsd.h        Fri Mar 12 12:18:16 1999
 # +++ work/emacs-19.34/src/s/freebsd.h    Sat Apr 10 06:32:00 1999
 # @@ -112,7 +112,7 @@
 #  #define BSD 199103
 #  #elif __FreeBSD__ == 2
 #  #define BSD 199306
 # -#elif __FreeBSD__ == 3
 # +#elif __FreeBSD__ >= 3
 #  #define BSD 199506
 #  #endif

 Got it.  Let me build both versions of emacs, do a couple of
 quick tests, and I'll commit these changes.

 # Satoshi (or someone else with the complete ports tree):  How about doing
 # a quick search for any other equality checks against __FreeBSD__ or
 # __FreeBSD_version that are biting us.  (And maybe keeping the list
 # around so we don't go thru the same thing next year when we move to
 # FreeBSD-5.x)

 The biggest part of the list is pretty easy - anything that uses
 libtool. :)  I'm pretty sure that most (all?) of the existing ports
 that use libtool have been fixed.  Jeremy Lea has some patches
 floating around that should take care of remaining broken ones and
 all newcomer ports that use libtool.

 -steve