Date:      Wed, 25 Jun 2014 07:33:40 +0000
From:      Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Boost 1.55.0 (Was: Re: PowerPC Packages)

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 01:12:22PM +0000, Alexey Dokuchaev wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 15, 2014 at 08:50:29AM -0700, Nathan Whitehorn wrote:
> > depend upon failed. The largest issues are Boost and QT4 webkit. Boost has
> > failed because it seems to unconditionally prefer clang to gcc when both are
> > present. On PowerPC, both are installed but GCC remains the default due to
> > some remaining issues with clang. Boost ignores the default, runs into the
> > issues, and fails. Maybe it should be forced to use whatever "cc" is?
>
> Since recently (after update to 1.55.0) boost started to require c++11-lang;
> I will take a look, maybe it's a bit too much.

If one feels adventurous, they can try to change USES from compiler:c++11-lang
to simply `compiler' (equiv. to compiler:env) in boost-all/compiled.mk and try
to build (it will then use gcc4.2 on 8.x/i386 and -current/powerpc).

The bad news: it won't build as it is right now, due to `result_of' related
errors in Boost.Log.  We're not alone, it was reported upstream before:

As a possible workaround (also used for X_BUILD_FOR cross-build case), one
can try to build it --without-log (and perhaps --without-coroutine).

One thing bugs me about it: per https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/8769,
version 1.52.0 should also have problems with gcc4.2, but it builds fine...

./danfe