Date:      Fri, 14 Sep 2007 07:35:24 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@freebsd.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CDRW Stopped Working Moving to 6.x

"Crist J. Clark" <cristclark@comcast.net> writes:

> Looking at the dmesg(1) from the last boot,
>
>   # fgrep cd0 /var/run/dmesg.boot
>   acd0: CDROM <CRD-8400B/1.06> at ata1-master UDMA33
>
> Makes me think the system is not recognizing the device as CDRW,
> only CDROM.

You're right, and that's the key point to start from.
Don't worry about ATAPI/CAM; it won't be used by burncd, and won't
work any better than direct ATAPI drivers if the device isn't
recognized as a CDRW.

The funny thing is (unless I recall incorrectly, which is possible
before my first cup of coffee for the day), the ID string is provided
by the device itself.  And I just looked it up; CRD-8400B is
definitely a CDROM.  So I don't think the OS is confused; if anything,
the device itself is what's confused.

Just to doublecheck: are you really sure you haven't changed the drive
since the last time you burned a CD?