Date:      Thu, 11 May 2000 16:21:54 -0500
From:      "Harold Pulcher - Killer Computing" <pulcher@killercomputing.com>
To:        "Matt Rohrer" <rohrer@hawaii.edu>, "Rob Carmichael" <robc@globalvc.co.uk>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: whereis not working ?

> On Thu, 11 May 2000, Rob Carmichael wrote:
>
> > I get this when i run "whereis":
> >
> > bash-2.03$ whereis gmatrix
> > Warning: couldn't stat file /usr/X11R6/man!
> > gmatrix:
> >
> > Any ideas ?
>
> Add /usr/X11R6/man to your MANPATH, perhaps?

Nice try.

What is means is the the directory /usr/X11R6/man does not exist.  It is
most likely in your startup files.  'whereis' will search all the
directories in your path as well as a couple more depending on what your
particular PATH variable looks like.

I would suggest you go back to your src dir and look at where the command
should be installed and make sure that directory is in your path.  The above
dir is pretty much a standard.  I am gonna make a guess.  Either X is not
installed, or it was installed in a non-standard location.  You need to
change your path to include the X directories.

Harold