Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 2000 09:36:14 -0600 (CST)
From:      Guy Helmer <ghelmer@cs.iastate.edu>
To:        Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@inet.ssc.nsu.ru>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How come accounting limits of login.conf still doesn't work?!

On Thu, 14 Dec 2000, Alexey Dokuchaev wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Guy Helmer wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Alexey Dokuchaev wrote:
> >
> > > There've been a nasty situation for quite a long time already with
> > > various accounting limits of login.conf...
> > >
> > > How come that all kewl features, such as sessionlimits, idletimes, etc all
> > > are documented in man login.conf(5), but never seemed to work?  It's 4.2
> > > already, and it still doesn't make any difference?
> >
> > The problem is that no process hangs around after a login to enforce these
> > limits.
> >
> > I have some dusty code that enforces time limits that I've been thinking
> > about improving (to handle all the "kewl" features you mention) and
> > bringing into (or invoking from) login(1).  It would mean an extra process
> > hanging around for each login, but processes are cheap :-)
>
> So, is your code in usable stage and available as a patch?  Do you have
> any plans committing into main source tree?

Sorry, it is not available yet.  My code was part of a dialup server that
limited time online (I was a BOFH in a previous life :-).  I'll have to
unearth the code from an old CD and figure out how to generalize it for
login.conf(5) limits.  I'm thinking of making the code into a PAM module
so that it would work with access methods that don't invoke login(1)
(e.g., sshd).

Guy

Guy Helmer, Ph.D.
Sr. Software Engineer, Palisade Systems         ---   ghelmer@palisadesys.com