Date:      Thu, 7 Sep 2000 21:08:15 +0200
From:      "Gail Jacobs" <gsjacobs@netactive.co.za>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Troubleshooting: Sound

Dear freeBSD.org,

I have recently installed freeBSD on a partition on my primary hard disk,
which also runs windows 98.
I have set up most of my other hardware (with alot of my friend's help), but
neither of us could get my sound to co-operate.
It is a Creative Soundblaster 16 (ISA). My friend know's his UNIX a whole
lot better than me, and he tried just about everything he could think of, he
runs a machine with a PCI soundcard, and his auto-detects it on start-up, as
far as i can see 'pcm' is not initialized, on start-up it displays neither a
failure or success message. in my config file in /usr/src/sys/i386/conf the
line reads "device pcm", and we tried the line "device pcm0 at isa? ...etc"
but to no avail. i am not sure what the problem is. i am really hoping you
could help me, as i am sure it is something stupid i have missed. another
thing, the IRQ is reported as 10 by windows, but BSD reports my USB
controller to be on 10, so i disabled USB in my bios as i have the
motherboard expansions, but no physical ports so it is of no use to me. then
BSD reported my Compaq Netelligent PCI network card to be using IRQ 10, and
now windows reports it to be on IRQ 9. My friend said i should note that i
am not currently on the "freeBSD mailing list".

any help with my problem would be GREATLY appreciated.
Many thanks, and kind regards

Jonathan Jacobs