Date:      Wed, 17 Apr 2002 14:43:25 -0400
From:      Mark Filipak <filipak@earthlink.net>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Hello from Mark Filipak

Hello All!

This is an introduction and a ping.

I live in Mansfield, Ohio, USA, and have some very specific problems and questions. The first should probably be whether this is the right list for me.... so....

I just installed GallantWEB. It is a pre-configured version of FreeBSD 3.3 that acts as a gateway/firewall/server. It is up and running but doesn't recognize my D-Link DFE-530TX+ ethernet cards.

What I have to work with
========================
I have the full FreeBSD 3.3 distribution (6 discs) from Walnut Creek.

I have C source code and makefile for the D-Link DFE-530TX+ ethernet card. It was written for Linux. The name of the driver source code is Rtl8139.C.

I have Greg Lehey's book: "The Complete FreeBSD".

I also have the full FreeBSD 4.0 distribution (4 discs) from Walnut Creek, but I don't want to tackle that right now and would like to get 3.3 fully functional first.

What I need
===========
I would appreciate help/advice for porting the D-Link DFE-530TX+ driver to FreeBSD 3.3.

There are at least four aspects to this project
1 - Discovering what I need to grab from the full 3.3 distribution and put into the running system -- for example, the running system has no C compiler or linker -- and where those should go.

2 - Revising the actual C source code and makefile.

3 - Discovering where Rtl8139.o should go in the running system.

4 - Getting the system to actually use the ported driver.

About me
========
I'm a 55 year old hardware engineer. I've used UNIX systems in the distant past, but I'm pretty raw. 8^)

I write Java and Javascript, but don't have much experience with C -- but it is obviously very similar to Java.

Global Question

Thanks. All help is appreciated and some day I'm sure I will be in a position to pass it on. I know I'm taking my first steps down a long road. So here's a wave and a 'Hello' from me to you folks who are so far up the road that I can barely see you.

Ciao -- Mark
--
See my resume: http://home.earthlink.net/~filipak/resume/
See my music trade pages: http://home.earthlink.net/~filipak/music/