Date:      Sun, 12 Sep 1999 11:59:04 +0200
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely.de>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   FFS-questions

I thought that a directory always contains full blocks and never contain a
fragment.
Now I have the following situation:
dirsize = 512, fragsize = 1024, blocksize = 4096
The dirrectory contains including . and .. 5 Entries.

It seems to me that the size of a directory is always a multiple of 512.
My problem is that I need to know how big the last datareference of a given inode
is: How many frags does it contain or is the last reference a complete block.

Another problem might be the situation if the fs is mounted:
AFAIK FFS allocates complete blocks (or clusters?) in case the file gets bigger.
I can't find out if it's a block or a couple of frags depending on the
ino->di_size.

Is there a relyable way for doing such things?
Do I still have any missunderstandings about fileendings?

--
B.Walter                  COSMO-Project              http://www.cosmo-project.de
ticso@cicely.de             Usergroup                info@cosmo-project.de