Date:      Thu, 22 Oct 1998 12:57:28 -0400
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Paul MacKenzie" <paul@elehost.com>
Subject:   Re: weird ppp resolving problem with dns (2.2.7 Freebsd) please help...

On Thu, 22 Oct 1998 12:02:45 -0400, Paul MacKenzie wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have a weird problem with ppp..
>
>When I put 127.0.0.1 in the resolv.conf, and try and run ppp (all I get is
>running in interactive mode) and can not do anything. When I remove it, it
>loads up fine and I can dial...
>
>Why?
>
>I can not seem to get DNS working over the Internet connection PPP dial in
>from one Freebsd box to another, so I set up a dns server on the local
>machine. When I am connected when I remove the 127.0.0.1 that I had to
>remove, then everything works??
>
>I am really confused why ppp will not load when the 127.0.0.1 is not in. It
>is a nightmare b/c I can not resolve for some reason without it??
>
>Any help would be appreciated!!

If you're accessing the Internet thru ppp, you want three DNS servers
listed in your resolv.conf
first, the local one, using either the loopback device or it's locally
assigned, private IP address (named must be enabled in
/etc/rc.(whatever)
second, your ISPs Primary DNS IP address
third, your ISPs Secondary DNS IP address
Unix systems measure "uptime" in years, Winblows measures it in minutes.