Date:      Mon, 02 Sep 2002 16:19:35 +0200
From:      claas <claas@zilium.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ata problem(s)

aloha!

Andrew P. Lentvorski wrote:
 > You have symptoms similar to what I had.

me too...

i get "nfsd error: 39"
does anyone know whats all about that kind of error ?

and
"page fault 12"-errors

i changed my complete hardware to get a clue.
maybe the problem is the IBM harddrive itsself.

 > After digging on the web and
 > wading through IBM tech support,

 > This thermal recalibration seems to be the reason why IBM specified that
 > certain drives were only expected to be on about 10 hours per day (it
does
 > a thermal recalibrate on power up and then doesn't need to do one again
 > for a while).

do you still have a link (or info) to the _certain_ drives ?
this could be faster than wadding through IBM tech support, too.

 > I dumped my IBM drives from my RAID box and replaced them with another
 > brand (Maxtor, I think).  I haven't had any problems since.

hope that this will solve my problem...

thx,
claas.