Date:      Wed, 21 Aug 2002 21:35:26 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Jon Mini <mini@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: timestamping kernel messages

In message <20020821005414.GJ3751@elvis.mu.org>, Jon Mini writes:
>Poul-Henning Kamp [phk@critter.freebsd.dk] wrote :
>
>> I think we need to revamp the console/logging system in toto.

>It has several problems that really irritate me, such as the fact
>that messages are sent to the console one character at a time,
>resulting in jumbled messages like:
>
>	| MSoMuPn:t iAnPg  CrPoUo t# 1f rLoamu nucfhse:d/!d
>	| ev/ad0a

I think we need to recognize that "_the_ console" is not an appropriate
metaphor anymore.

We have, at least the following roles:

	The place we print the kernels bootstrap information.
	The place the kernel can ask questions during bootstrap.
	The place we print panics
	The place we print kernel debugging information.
	The place we interract with gdb
	The place we print the single-user to multi-user information
	The place we print certain run-time error/log messages

In addition to this we have at least:
	The channel for sending kernel log events to syslogd

I have no idea what the right solution looks like, but the current
code isn't it.