Date:      Thu, 19 Dec 2002 19:18:48 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Mxsmanic <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Getting Perl scripts to work as mail filters

On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, Mxsmanic wrote:

> I finally got it to work by piping to sendmail.  Seems to be adequate for
> what I want to do.
>
> Now all I have to do is design my patented, foolproof methodology for
> distinguishing spam from real mail so that I can encode the rules in the
> script.  There must be a way!  Also, this may allow me to do something about
> getting rid of HTML in mail, which I can't stand.

There's nothing wrong with reinventing procmail like this, but I'm
curious why you consider it "bloated"--it's under 64K on my
system.

Anyway, here's a procmail recipe that catches a lot of spam.  Not all,
but it's a start, and the regular expression should be usable in your
Perl program with few changes:

# Mail not addressed to me.
:0
* $!^((Resent-|Apparently-)?(To|Cc|Bcc)):.*${LOGNAME}
$MAILDIR/Spam-folder