Date:      Fri, 9 Dec 2005 20:40:26 +1300
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
To:        Dave Webster <dwebman@telus.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: HP 4M plus network printer question

On Thu, Dec 08, 2005 at 10:50:51PM -0800, Dave Webster wrote:

[...]
> Everthing's printing fine now.  But I do have another question.  I'm
> using DHCP on the server to assign IP addresses to the hp printer, the
> LAN FBSD and hopefully another LAN FBSD for my kids.  How do you put the
> IP addresses in /etc/hosts if they are assigned dynamically without
> having to edit /etc/hosts evertime the lease assignment changes?

You can configure your DHCP server to assign a particular IP address
for a MAC address. If you're using the isc-dhcp server, this can be
done the following entry in /usr/local/etc/dhcpd.conf:

    host hpprinter
    {
        hardware ethernet 00:12:23:56:78:9a;
        fixed-address 10.0.0.1;
    }

You'll have put in the correct MAC and IP address.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
"If you wish your merit to be known, acknowledge that of other people"