Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 2006 11:16:33 +0900
From:      "Hye-Shik Chang" <hyeshik@gmail.com>
To:        "Thomas Sandford" <freebsduser@paradisegreen.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: python 2.4

On 10/10/06, Thomas Sandford <freebsduser@paradisegreen.co.uk> wrote:
> "B Briggs" <rcbdyndns@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> > All of a sudden, I have these:
> > python 2.4.3_1
> > python-2.5
> > python25-2.5
> >
> > All installed.
> >
> > No. I do not have portupgrade installed.
> >
> > I tried portmanager with the -o option.

I'll try portmanager soon.

> > Which do I need? python-2.5 or python 25-2.5?

You need both of them.  In fact, python-2.5 is just a dummy port as
you said, and it will be changed to some symlinks to executables
after 6.2 released.

> > That's just hypothetical. I'm going to stick with 2.4.3_1 until this is
> > resolved.
>
> I think the python changes, or specifically the modification of "python" to
> be a dummy port with dependency python25 should be backed out until they
> have been though through a bit better, or at least until the ports (eg
> mailman, py-spambayes, etc) that use python have had a chance to catch up
> with the new system.

If you need to use 2.4 for them, just give an option
PYTHON_VERSION=python2.4 for the ports.  Many of python ports works
with the option.  (But still an old dependency problem exists yet)

> It is now impossible to install/portupgrade, eg py-spambayes to run against
> python-2.4, the version it was ported and tested against, since it pulls in
> python as a dependency.

Put PYTHON_VERSION=python2.4 in /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf.

> POLA has been badly infringed here guys...

Sorry for the inconvenience.  We'll cope with arising problems as soon as
possible.

Hye-Shik