Date:      Sat, 19 Nov 2005 20:25:02 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        chad@shire.net (Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC)
Cc:        Free BSD Questions list <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, Kiffin Gish <kiffin@gish.demon.nl>
Subject:   Re: UPS advice, please ...

> On Nov 19, 2005, at 1:03 PM, Kiffin Gish wrote:
>
> > And which one do you recommend?
> >
> > I have two mini-towers, one an old dell dimension 650R 200W and
> > another
> > clone anthlon-xp 300W.
> >
> > Do I need two UPS or can I get one which can service these two
> > machines?
>
> In your case I would get two so that each machine can be signaled to
> separately and if it is a two way street reply separately.  I have
> never used the UPS daemons so don't know how they work but I doubt
> they are made to work with multiples on the UPS.

You can get multiple interfaces on the UPS that will talk to more
than one machine to tell it when to do a shutdown.   For some models,
there is a card, sort of like one that has some number of serial ports
depending on how many you want and are willing to pay for - it doesn't
add a lot.   This is true, anyway, for the APC UPS units we have.

////jerry