Date:      Sat, 31 Jan 2009 19:40:40 -0500
From:      Stephen Clark <sclark46@earthlink.net>
To:        Alex Goncharov <alex-goncharov@comcast.net>
Cc:        Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, rnoland@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unhappy Xorg upgrade

Alex Goncharov wrote:
> ,--- You/Peter (Sat, 31 Jan 2009 06:53:11 +1100) ----*
> | X11 is a critical component for anyone who is using FreeBSD as a
> | desktop and having upgrades fail or come with significant POLA
> | violations and regressions for significant numbers of people is not
> | acceptable.
>
> Fully agree with this.
>
> | I suggest that this approach needs to be followed for every future
> | release of X.org until (if) the X.org Project demonstrates that they
> | can provide release-quality code.
>
> And agree with this, as far as the future is concerned -- but this
> leaves out the issue of what is going to be done for people whose
> systems became practically incapacitated in a matter of one day.
>
> Screw us?
>
> I realize that personally I haven't contributed much (hey, a simple
> port's maintainer!) to FreeBSD, so a disregard to my situation may be
> well deserved.  But "you" (whoever this "you" is: the "ports manager",
> the X port maintainers) have to be aware that leaving the things in
> the state they are now, you are screwing somebody.
>
> | >  This update also brings in support for a lot of people who are
> | >running newer hardware.
> |
> | And breaks support for lots of people who used to have functional X
> | servers.
>
> Just so.
>
> ,--- Kostik Belousov (Fri, 30 Jan 2009 22:25:09 +0200) ----*
> | Just to give a different view on *this* update. I have exactly opposing
> | experience.
> |
> | So far 1.5.3 + updated DRM works good on all my Radeons.
> | And, I did not have a problem with i945GM on 1.4.2 and 1.5.3.
> `----------------------------------------------------------*
>
> Well, glad for you -- meanwhile I will be reverting my desktop to the
> old X this weekend: the garbage on the screen is ugly, but the fact
> that in the new X "opera" can grab a pointer for about a minute makes
> the combined use of the browser and xterms/Emacses plain intolerable.
>
> After I do this, as I did with my laptop already, I think I am
> completely cut off from the ports automated upgrade cycle.
>
> -- Alex -- alex-goncharov@comcast.net --

To add my experience, I have been using X on intel hardware since the late
eighties when you had to calculate your modeline by hand. But I guess I have
gotten spoiled by how easily it now is to normally configure X. Run
X -configure and you normally are good to go. Well at work I had a dual
head matrox card that would not configure after the upgrade, so I took it
out of the machine to use the built in via graphics controller that worked fine
under 1.4 but when I ran X -configure there was an error trying to load the via
driver, because it didn't compile ( and as I later found out has been replaced
by the openchrome driver - didn't see anything about that in UPDATING ) so the
automatic config fell back to using the vesa driver. But when I tried to run
X -config /root/xorg.conf.new X reported it couldn't find any screens for vesa
driver no matter how I changed the config. After fighting with this for half a
day I reverted back to 1.4 because I needed my machine operational to get some
work done.

--

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety."  (Ben Franklin)

decreases."  (Thomas Jefferson)