Date:      Tue, 16 Dec 2014 21:45:13 +0100
From:      Gerd Hafenbrack <hafenbrack@freenet.de>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xorg -configure ... Segmentation fault at address 0x0

On 2014-12-16 23:42, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
> The system in question contains an AMD A4-6300 APU.  This is not exactly
> a newly released APU.  Amazon lists it as having been available since
> May 20, 2014.  So the thing has been out for around 7 months or more.
>
> However the integrated GPU is apparently a Radeon HD 8370D.
>
> Looking now on this page:
>
>      https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics
>
> it appears that perhaps Radeon HD 8xxx is not yet supported by X on
> FreeBSD.  I guess that is the problem, yes? ...

No.

The A4-6300 is an old Richland APU with VLIW4/Northern Islands and NOT
Sea Islands. It was released July 2013 and should work.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon_HD_8000_Series#Richland_.28HD_8xxxD.29_series
The HD numbers are just marketing names. In the Radeon HD 8xxx series
you will find 4 generations: Evergreen, Northern Islands, Southern
Islands and Sea Islands!