Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 2008 11:48:15 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Fbsd1 <fbsd1@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Free usenet nntp servers

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 10:33:48 +0800, Fbsd1 <fbsd1@a1poweruser.com> wrote:
> In the past (alt.binaries.warez) contained monthly posts of a list of
> Free usenet nntp servers. I dont have access to a nntp server so I
> can't search foe the list. Does any one here know of a Free usenet
> nntp server I can access?

news.sunsite.dk has been serving me fine for several years now.  I
heartily recommend it, as it also supports authentication, so you can
use it from everywhere around the globe, as long as you keep your
`~/.authinfo' file around.

It does not carry *all* the groups that some servers may have (IIRC the
alt.* hierarchy is not supported), but my current `~/.newsrc' file
includes

  comp.emacs
  comp.lang.c
  comp.lang.lisp
  comp.mail.sendmail
  comp.std.c
  comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
  comp.unix.programmer
  comp.unix.solaris
  gnu.emacs.announce
  gnu.emacs.help
  gnu.emacs.gnus

and all these groups are supported by this server.