Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 1996 19:56:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        dyson@freebsd.org
Cc:        dtc@scrooge.ee.swin.oz.au, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Request to add this to FAQ re: swap space

> I agree that more swap is better, but at least we need to KILL the notion
> that 2 X RAM is enough (IMO, 2 X RAM is never enough)!!!

IMOH, and IMPO, 2 x ram is typically all the swap you should need,
if you go beyond this need for swap your machine is under memoried
and page faulting heavily.  There are exceptions to this (things that
manipulate massive data arrays in malloc regions (yes, I have a client
with close to 4G of swap, but he also has 256MB of memory, which is
maxed for his motherboard), wuarchive.cdrom.com running 1000's of processes,
etc...

My personal machines never have more than 2xRAM as swap, if I run out
of this much swap I add more memory and resize swap to 2X:

GndRsh:sales {102} swapinfo
Device      1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Type
/dev/sd0b       32768    13376    19328    41%    Interleaved
GndRsh:sales {103}
SkyRsh# swapinfo
Device      1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Type
/dev/sd0b       32768     2380    30324     7%    Interleaved
SkyRsh#

Both 16MB machines, both under utilizizing swap under typical loads,
both machines started out 3 or 4 years ago as 4MB machines, both
grown over time as the code has become larger (:-(), and the work
load increased (:-)).

Ohhh... and for real server class machines if I swap, I add memory
and run swap == ram size.  (From my Netware days, realize Netware
requires you to have physical ram for all NLM's, otherwise you get
the nasty out of memory error, module not loaded).

Accurate Automation, Inc.                   Reliable computers for FreeBSD