Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 2003 21:23:18 +0000
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott+freebsd@fishballoon.org>
To:        Paulo Menezes <pm@asimov.isr.uc.pt>
Cc:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Xircom combo ethernet+modem

On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 06:56:23PM +0000, Paulo Menezes wrote:

> On the back I find PS-CEM-28.
>
> When I insert the card pccardd logs
> ...Card "Xircom"("CreditCard Ethernet+Modem 26.8") [CEM28] matched
> "Xircom" ("CreditCard Ethernet+Modem 28.8") [(null)] [(null)]
>
> and the kernel
>
> xe0 at port 0x2e8-0x2ef iomem 0xd1000-0xd1ff irq 10 slot 1 on pccard1
> xe0: Xircom CEM3, bonding version 0, with modem
> xe0: CE2 version = 0
> xe0: Ethernet address 00:00:00:00:00:00

Hi Paulo,

I think you're doing everything right but running into some longstanding
bugs in the driver.  There's pretty clearly something going wrong with the
probe routine -- that MAC address is obviously wrong :-(

I'm actually working on some updates to the xe driver right now, fixing the
known bugs with the CE3/REM56 cards first, then I plan to have a look at
the probe/initialisation problems with the CE2-based cards like yours.  I
finally got hold of a few older cards, so I'm reasonably hopeful of getting
it working this time...

I don't suppose you could post the output of 'pccardc dumpcis' for your
card, in case there's something unusual about it?  Are there any other
messages from the driver after the ones you've shown us already?

Cheers,

	Scott