Date:      Fri, 22 Dec 2006 15:57:30 -0700
From:      Thomas Kindig <tkindig@wsfcu.org>
To:        Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>,freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dell PERC5 (SAS 5) controller boot flr

At 03:00 PM 12/22/2006, Paul Schmehl wrote:
>--On December 22, 2006 8:51:43 AM -0700 Thomas Kindig
><tkindig@wsfcu.org> wrote:

<snip>

>I'm not clear on why you have PERC5/i with only one drive.  Is the
>drive partitioned and set up with RAID1?

I was thinking I might avoid proprietary controller problems by
specifying a PE 1950 system with no HW RAID. Second mistake was not
studying the HW list myownself. I got the same controller, no RAID,
and now I learn that many shops are running FreeBSD fine on this
controller with multiple drives and RAID.

I am hoping to remedy the situation by ordering a second drive and
enabling, setting up RAID0.

'Hope this helps,
Thomas
WSFCU Help Desk
505-647-4578

A friendly reminder to our members: you should not use regular email
for confidential information. The Credit Union will not use regular
email for sensitive information. Your privacy is very important to
us. Help us protect your privacy by using secure channels whenever
you need to exchange confidential information. See
<http://www.wsfcu.org/index.asp?p=h&a=124>Email and your
<http://www.wsfcu.org/index.asp?p=h&a=124>privacy for more information.