Date:      Thu, 27 May 1999 10:20:05 +0100
From:      Dom Mitchell <Dom.Mitchell@palmerharvey.co.uk>
To:        Graeme Tait <graeme@echidna.com>
Cc:        David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, info@boatbooks.com
Subject:   Re: File system gets too fragmented ???

On 27 May 1999, Graeme Tait proclaimed:
> BTW, I realize there is probably a better way to do this (database,
> etc.), and we are thinking in that direction, but for the moment we
> have a legacy setup and not much time to rework it. Also, I would have
> thought that having many tiny files was not that unusual (e.g., a news
> spool).

Although a new spool does have a large number of small files (used to;
most sane people now use cyclical files for their news instead), the
size of those files is constant.  They are created, then deleted, there
is no update in the middle.

It sounds like you've come up with something even worse for a filesystem
than usenet - congratulations!
--
Dom Mitchell -- Palmer & Harvey McLane -- Unix Systems Administrator

	"Value of 2 may go down as well as up"
		-- FORTRAN programmers manual
the system manager.