Date:      Tue, 4 Dec 2018 02:25:47 +0000
From:      B J <va6bmj@gmail.com>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Fresh Installation Of FreeBSD 11.2--Mate Not Working Properly
References:  <CAP7QzkMd5jZ-DRj%2BUC0r%2B%2BfQPkzxW-_3d7jkEVFzWox6xfX_6A@mail.gmail.com> <CAP7QzkPeWsmUSvxUQpQKASnz5r1LJPR27f9t9t%2BjfDW_iweQzQ@mail.gmail.com> <20181202231414.bc873ae8.freebsd@edvax.de> <CAP7QzkM7Ma7Hn0ESrniGBTE6847FUPVwpHw79x4om3QMjHGxHg@mail.gmail.com> <3b1f0a32-175e-2535-ce70-ac8935cf85eb@yandex.com> <CAP7QzkNo=s=_QedKrFCjF0H5dHVu=Zq=j--xqBG6eO_qbbTkhA@mail.gmail.com> <20181203184153.b37810d9.freebsd@edvax.de>

<snip>

> For better diagnostics, use the following entry in ~/.xinitrc:
>
> 	exec xterm
>
> Then use "startx", and run "mate-session" from within the
> terminal. You should be able to see _why_ MATE isn't starting
> properly, while Xfce does.
>
> AS I said in a previous message, the age of the system probably
> is not the reason for MATE not working. Maybe something has
> changed in its configuration, so maybe renaming MATE's settings
> subtree to .old and starting with no configuration at all will
> work. Incompatibility of older settings sometimes leads to
> software not starting after an upgrade (e. g., CUPS). So this
> is something you could try.

<snip>

I re-installed Mate and modified the installation as you suggested.
After running "startx", followed by "mate-session" in the terminal, I
got a number of messages, including the following:

mate-session[844]:  WARNING:  Unable to determine session:  Unable to
lookup session information for process '844'
mate-session[844]:  WARNING:  Unable to find provider ' ' of required
component 'dock'
** (mate-settings-daemon:862):  WARNING**: <system time>:  There was a
problem when setting QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=0:
GDBus.Error:org.gnome.SessionManager.NotInInitialization:  Setenv
interface is only available during the Initialization phase
** (mate-settings-daemon:862):  WARNING**: <system time>:  There was a
problem when setting QT_SCALE_FACTOR=0:
GDBus.Error:org.gnome.SessionManager.NotInInitialization:  Setenv
interface is only available during the Initialization phase
This libgtop was compiled on FreeBSD 11.2-RELEASE-p5 amd64
If you see strange problems caused by it, you should recompile libgtop
and dependent applications.
[15433888288,000,xklavier.c:xkl_engine_start_listen/]  The backend
does not require manual layout management - but it is provided by the
application
Initializing caja-image-convertor extension
Initializing caja-open-terminal extension
Initializing caja-xattr-tags extension

** Message:<system time>:  Initializing gksu extension....

(polkit-mate-authentication-agent-1:883):  polkit-mate-1-WARNING**:
<system time>: Unable to determine the session we are in:
GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager.Error.General:  Unable
to lookup session information for process '883'

Then there were some messages regarding the location of
GNOME_KEYRING_CONTROL and SSH_AUTH_SOCK, followed by:

Connection failure: Connection refused
pa_context_connect() failed:  Connection refused

The Mate desktop starts with its default configuration except that the
size was for a larger monitor display.  I was able to start Mate
Terminal, but it was sluggish moving the window.

I was able to restart my machine twice from Mate, so that function
appears to work.

So, what does this all mean and would it be possible to salvage the
installation?  Thank you.

B. M. Jatzeck