Date:      Tue, 14 Nov 1995 23:58:05 +0200 (EET)
From:      "Andrew V. Stesin" <stesin@elvisti.kiev.ua>
To:        roberto@keltia.freenix.fr (Ollivier Robert)
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   About Conner and IBM SCSI HDDs (was: Re: your mail

Hello Ollivier,

# - Conner: I have a 1080S and I'm very happy with it. Avoid the 1060S if you
#   don't want to upgrade the  firmware. Some series  have a bug which appear
#   with fast drivers like NCR and Aha-2940. The 1080S is a fast drive.

	What you say about 1060S is no longer true. 1060S
	are shipped with a good firmvare at least for some months.
	They do not need any upgrade and works good as I can see
	(comparatively fast; no errors or failures yet), but a bit noisy.

	There is another caveat with 1060Ss. Recently I've seen
	a party of 1060Ss that are made in a strange fashion:
	they have 80-pin connector on the drive and an extra interface
	part which converts 80-pin to a "usual" 50-pin SCSI interface.
	The part has jumpers on it for setting SCSI ID.

	As I was told by mr. Behrens (his e-mail is <Soenke.Behrens@conner.com>
	he's VERY helpful in case of any tech. adventures with Conners and
	he helped me three times!) theese drives are actually 1060E-s
	shipped as 1060S-s.  The wrong thing was that _this_ party of
	drives was equipped with an interface part (I have it's specs,
	and exact name) with terminators (resistor packs)
	_soldered_ into it and there isn't any way to disable termination
	on it except of a) mechanically remove the resistor packs, or
	b) call Conner for a replacement part with socketed terminators.

	I was proposed to do b) by Soenke Behrens, but I think we'll
	simply snap the terminators off when needed -- replacement
	will take a nice bit of time.

	So: people, my opinion is that Conner 1060S and 1080S are good,
	but _be careful_!

# - IBM: three friends brought a very recent IBM drive  (not the 662 which is
#   at  least 2 yrs old and  very hot) and they  seem very  happy. It has not
#   been long enough to see if they will be  reliable but they works fine for
#   now.

	I've tested two IBM DPES-31080's (1.08Gb) for a while. They are
	quite as fast as Conners (only a bit slower, under FreeBSD 2.0.5
	and NCR 53c810) and _much_ less noisy. They are less hot, too.
	I know at least two Nowell installations working with this drives
	for 6 months without any trouble yet.

--

	With best regards -- Andrew Stesin.

	+380 (44) 2760188	+380 (44) 2713457	+380 (44) 2713560

	An undocumented feature is a coding error.