Date:      Sun, 20 Aug 2000 21:41:16 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
To:        Ben Smithurst <ben@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Sean-Paul Rees <sean@seanrees.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Screen Blanking 10min

On Sun, Aug 20, 2000 at 06:56:27PM +0100, Ben Smithurst wrote:
> Sean-Paul Rees wrote:
>
> > Have XFree 3.3.6 going great, however, every 10 minutes of "idle" (like, when
> > I'm watching TV fullscreen) the screen blanks. That is really irritating,
> > especially when watching TV.
> >
> > Is there a way to stop the screen blanking?
>
> You could put a wrapper around fxtv, assuming that's what you use to
> watch TV.
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/bin
> export PATH
>
> xset -dpms; xautolock -disable
> fxtv "$@"
> xset +dpms; xautolock -enable
>
> I'm not quite sure if this works though, as I'm sure I've had the
> screen blank while watching TV.  I'll have to see if I can find out
> what's causing this.

It's the X screen saver. You need to mod your script:

xset -dpms s off; xautolock -disable
fxtv "$@"
xset +dpms s on; xautolock -enable

although if you have DPMS (which you obviously do) the you may as well
permanently disable the screen saver with ``xset s off'' in
~/.xinitrc.

> Note that this script lives in ~/bin, so I have
> to explicitly set the path to not include ~/bin, otherwise there'd be a
> nasty loop.  (I don't explicitly run /usr/X11R6/bin/fxtv in the script
> since I think fxtv sometimes calls itself when doing video capture and
> so on, so I wan't the path set up such that it will call the real fxtv
> in those cases, rather than my wrapper script.)
>
> --
> Ben Smithurst                 / ben@FreeBSD.org / PGP: 0x99392F7D
> FreeBSD Documentation Project /

		4.4 - The number of the Beastie